Friday, November 12, 2010

Anger

Today's reading: James 1

...For your anger does not produce God's righteousness. James 1: 20 NRSV

I know I have written about anger before. It happens to be one of my many weaknesses. I realized that again last night when I lost my temper with my dog, my son and anyone else who was in earshot.

Nothing good ever comes of getting angry and acting upon it.

Certainly James teaches that anger is not going to produce a right relationship with God.

It isn't going to produce a right relationship with anyone else, either. Even if that anyone is a pet.

What does anger do then? Well, anger in itself is not bad it is simply an emotion. It is when we let anger take over our minds, bodies, mouths, and, quite possibly, our souls that relationships are destroyed. That is the hard part because anger is the one emotion that I can easily give free reign in my consciousness. I simply let anger take over. Easy to do. Not so easy to pick up the pieces afterwards. Sound familiar to you?

Why do we give anger so much power and control?

I am constantly trying to answer that question. Haven't yet come up with anything. Perhaps you can answer that question. I pray we can prevent our anger from taking over!

God, help us to prevent anger, or any one emotion, take over our thoughts and actions. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment