Sunday, November 21, 2010

Be Alert

Today's reading: I Peter 5

Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. I Peter 5: 8 NRSV

Anytime I am walking to my car in a parking lot, I am especially vigilant. I have my keys out and ready to unlock my door. I notice who is around me. Does anyone seem suspicious? What car is going to back out without looking to see if I am behind them?  Does my car look okay? As I open my door, is anyone trying to approach me? I listen carefully and get in quickly, locking my doors.

I suppose I sound kind of paranoid. But I would rather be vigilant than a victim of crime.

In the same way we are to be on the alert for the devil. I Peter tells us to be disciplined. When I hear that word I think of being steadfast in praying, reading scripture, going to worship, being around other Christians, receiving communion, tithing and serving. Some folks might also add fasting or being hospitable or more loving.

What keeps you disciplined?

How can you be more vigilant?

God, help us to stay alert and discipline ourselves. Set up a hedge of protection around us even as we are drawn closer to you in our actions and thoughts. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment