Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The conviction of things not seen....

Today's reading: Hebrews 11-12

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 NRSV

This bible verse is on my wall in my office. I mean literally on my wall! I ordered these words through a website (thanks also to a general friend) and stuck them on the wall. Many people think I have actually painted theses words on the wall. So, this verse is really powerful for me.

This verse is also very challenging for me as well. I am the type of person who likes to be in control and know where she is going. That means visualizing my destination. The surprising part of this verse is that we should hope for something we cannot see. This makes no logical sense to me. However, Hebrews highlights the faith of many Old Testament heroes, who followed God yet never reached the part of salvation through Jesus Christ. They were faithfully following even when they could not see the end. They continued to do as God asked even though there was no clear road of salvation for them.

Do you, also, feel more comfortable when you can clearly see your goals? Do you think your faith is made stronger when you know where you are going? Or do you think your faith could use a bit more trust in something you cannot see?

God, I don't have the answers to my questions I am asking folks in this devotional. I do know that you have something even better planned for us than we could even ask for or imagine. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment