Saturday, December 4, 2010

Open the Door

Today's reading: Revelation 3

For you say, 'I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing.' You do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked. Revelation 3:17 NRSV

In this season of excess and spending, we need to be reminded that our supposed wealth and accumulation do not really mean anything in God's sight. In this passage, Jesus is addressing the church at Laodicea, trying to get them to see their true situation. They are neither cold nor hot but lukewarm. They have no fire but neither are they completely burned out. The church is apparently resting on their laurels: they see themselves as wealthy. They think they do not need anything from God. Their money will buy whatever they need.

I have known a lot of churches and not too few people who think of themselves in that same manner. And I must include myself in that second group. Often I think my money, my effort, my control will save the day. Instead, I should be on my knees asking God for help. I need to realize that I need God. My money and my own power will never be enough to save.

Later in this chapter, Jesus gives us the image of himself standing at the door and knocking.

How come we often neglect to let him in when he so desires entrance?

God, we think of ourselves as rich, prosperous and in need of nothing. But you see us as wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked. May we open the door and invite Jesus in. In his name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment