Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Happiness

Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with scoffers. But they delight in doing everything the Lord wants; day and night they think about his law. Psalm 1:1-2 NLT

Are you doing everything the Lord wants you to be doing?

Really?

I like to think I'm doing what God wants but that isn't so. What I am doing is planning and deciding what I will be doing. Then I pray and ask God to bless my plans and each day.

And if I am not doing what I want, I am thinking I already know what God is wanting and try to do that.

God wants all of us who follow him to really follow him, not just to say "yes" then head in another direction. No wonder many of us aren't happy!

How many of us seriously ponder if we are following God's law? Okay, so most of us aren't committing adultery or murdering anyone. But how about coveting our neighbor's new car? Or our coworkers' fancy clothes? What idols (such as money) are we worshipping? Is it simply coincidence that many of us will drop everything to watch a show entitled "American Idols?" And are we really taking a sabbath once a week?

That doesn't even begin to touch on what Jesus said was the greatest commandment: love the Lord your God with your whole being and your neighbor as yourself.

Instead, we find ourselves standing in the midst of sinners, following the advice of any "expert" on television/talk radio, and putting down just about everything along with our friends.

Are you happy? My guess is the answer is "No."

God, you are so more than willing to provide us with joy. But we keep doing our own thing. Forgive us Lord and help us to put our minds on your law not our agendas. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment