Thursday, March 17, 2011

Foul Talk

My enemies cannot speak one truthful word. Their deepest desire is to destroy others. Their talk is foul, like stench from an open grave. Their speech is filled with flattery. Psalm 5: 9 NLT

Our words can hurt. We can hurt others more easily than we think by what comes out of our mouth or even what we type on facebook or in an email. Our words can destroy friendships, create walls of hatred and sow discord.

How do we know this to be so?

Because you and I have been hurt. I know that there has been at least one time in your life where you found yourself saying: My enemies cannot speak one truthful word. Or perhaps you felt that others' deepest desire was to destroy you because of something they said. Do you remember a time like that? How did you cope?

Or maybe you were flattered by someone who was not being honest. They soon turned around and criticized you. You were not only hurt but surprised at their actions. What did you do in response?

Either way, their speech was foul, like the smell of rotting flesh. Ew!

So, because we have been hurt by others' words, we need to watch our own words. I am as guilty as the next person with putting my foot in my mouth. I have made enemies without even realizing it.

How about you?

God, help us to speak the truth and to watch what we say and write. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment