Friday, March 4, 2011

A Good Night's Sleep

I lay down and slept. I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me. Psalm 3: 5 NLT

Boy, could I use a good night's sleep! Even though I was tired last night, my sleep was full of active dreams (I was packing up our Christmas ornaments and they were all delicate) and I kept waking up several times in the night. I did everything right before going to bed, too. I didn't eat anything after supper, I went to bed on time, I prayed with my husband before the lights were turned out, I even exercised during the day and did not consume much sugar or caffeine at all. And no "heated fellowship" happened before bedtime, either!

When I woke up, I didn't do so in safety. All I could realize when I woke up was that I was still tired.

The one thing I did not do was recognize God's presence. Sure, I prayed but it was more a tired prayer than anything (the kind where you just ask God to help you get rest). I don't think I asked for God to watch over me or my family and keep us safe. I didn't even acknowledge God's constant presence and supernatural protection.

But Psalm 3 reminds me to do so when I lay down and sleep. I need to lay down and trust God.

How about you. Could you use a good night's sleep?

God, we trust you and recognize your watchfulness over us, even while we sleep. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment