Thursday, March 31, 2011

Look Deep Within

The Lord passes judgment on the nations. Declare me righteous, O Lord, for I am innocent, O Most High! End the wickedness of the ungodly, but help all those who obey you. For you look deep within the mind and heart, O righteous God. Psalm 7: 8-9 NLT

Well, this is pretty presumptuous!  Declare me righteous, God. I am innocent, God. Help those who obey you (like me), God. How can we justify our own goodness and righteousness?

But the psalmist continues by saying: you look deep within the mind and heart.

God looks deep within the mind and heart. If we are good, if we are righteous, if we are innocent, God knows it. We should as well.

I suppose I rarely think that, however. I always think I am guilty of something. I am never good enough. Certainly, I don't think I am so good that God knows it by looking into my heart. That is why I depend upon Jesus and God's mercy!

How about you? Have there been times (this may be one of them) that you felt innocent in your heart and mind? Has there been any occasions when you claimed goodness but inside knew you were not? What were your prayers like during these times? Have you ever prayed a prayer such as found in these verses?

God, you look deep within my mind and heart. You alone are completely righteous. May I be righteous in my innocence and my obedience, O Most High. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment