Sunday, March 6, 2011

Violent Revenge

Arise, O Lord! Rescue me, my God! Slap all my enemies in the face! Shatter the teeth of the wicked! Psalm 3: 7 NLT

Arise, O Lord! I am in need of some serious rescue, here! Kick my enemies in the teeth! Pommel them to death! Show them your might and your strength! Be my champion! Go, God, go!

This verse just sounds like a video game to me, full of violence and revenge. This is a Saturday morning cartoon where the bad guys are going to get it in the end when the hero comes and resorts to violence. This is "meet me in the alley" kind of behavior.

But when have you or I not felt like asking or needing God to do just that? Let's be perfectly honest and say there have been times when this is the kind of rescuing we are looking for. Although I don't seriously believe this is what Jesus wants us to do, it never takes away the desire for this kind of violent rescue by God.

In fact, this is precisely what God chose NOT to do when Jesus was falsely accused and tortured to death. There was no violent retribution. Just forgiveness, mercy and the gift of eternal life for all who believe and accept Jesus as their savior.

Despite our desires for violent revenge, God shows us again and again that He is Other, Different and Set Apart.

God, thank you for being you. I'll do my best not to plea for violent retribution. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment