Monday, March 7, 2011

Distress

Answer me when I call, O God who declares me innocent. Take away my distress. Have mercy on me and hear my prayer. Psalm  4: 1 NLT

In studying the book of Mark and the story of Jesus' last twenty-four hours before his death and resurrection, I see many times when people are in distress. The disciples at the table are distressed over Jesus' pronouncements about being betrayed. Jesus is distressed in the Garden. Peter is distressed over being accused of knowing Jesus, then denying him.

Take away my distress.

What does that mean? Webster's defines distress (the noun) as physical or mental anguish.

Anyone else out there experienced physical or mental anguish lately? Wouldn't it be great if God took all that away from us?

The psalmist is calling out to God and asking for answers. The pray-er knows that God declares him/ her innocent. Because they are innocent in God's eyes, they ask that their suffering and grief be removed from them. After all, if God says you are innocent, why worry about what others think? Obviously this is easier said than done. A bit of supernatural help is needed. Help me, Lord, have mercy on me, and hear my prayer!

What distress are you under?

Would you like God to take it away?

Let's pray: God, answer us when we call. You declare us innocent. Take away our distress. Have mercy on us and hear our prayers. In Jesus' name. Amen

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment