Friday, April 8, 2011

Give God the Glory

My enemies turn away in retreat; they are overthrown and destroyed before you. For you have judged in my favor; from your throne, you have judged with fairness. You have rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked; you have wiped out their names forever. My enemies have met their doom; their cities are perpetual ruins. Even the memory of their uprooted cities is lost. Psalm 9: 3-6 NLT

Psalm 9 reminds us why these are called King David's psalms. Here the wording is not so much personal as national. Although the psalm repeats the phrase "my enemies" very few individuals can consider whole nations as their enemies. But leaders of nations certainly could.

It is interesting, however, that the psalm does not brag about what the nation or leader has done to destroy their enemies. This is more about what God has done. The enemies have been destroyed before God. God has judged. God has rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked, wiping out their names forever.

While praising God for a victory, this psalm gives all the glory and thanks to God.

When in your life have you accomplished something great and never once thought to give God credit?

Have you ever considered that your "personal" victories were actually God's doing?

Let's take some time today to give God credit for our own achievements.

God, you have guided me, nurtured me and loved me through all my accomplishments. In fact it has not been my own doing but you who have done so much for me. Help me to recognize your work in my life and my world. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment