Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Walking the Dog at Night

When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers -- the moon and the stars you have set in place -- what are mortals that you should think of us, mere humans that you should care for us? For you made us only a little lower than God and you crowned us with glory and honor. You put us in charge of everything you made, giving us authority over all things -- the sheep and the cattle and all the wild animals, the birds in the sky, the fish in the sea, and everything that swims the ocean currents. O Lord, our Lord, the majesty of your name fills the earth! Psalm 8: 3-9 NLT

Walking my dog at night always reminds me of this passage of scripture. I look up and see the stars through the branches of the trees. I hear the night sounds -- natural and manmade. I am in wonder of all of creation.

Then my attention comes back to my dog. She hears a sound in the empty lot next door. Is that a raccoon or other creature? Suddenly I am reminded of my own role of caring for God's creation -- from my own pets to animals in the wild. God wants me to be responsible for all of this?

Just these few minutes remind me of God's glory, God's remarkable trust of us over God's creation, and God's inexplicable love and care for us.

My only response is a praiseful heart.

O Lord, our Lord, the majesty of your name fills the earth! Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment