Friday, May 27, 2011

Earthly Gain

Arise, O Lord! Stand against them and bring them to their knees! Rescue me from the wicked with your sword! Save me by your mighty hand, O Lord, from those whose only concern is earthly gain. May they have their punishment in full. May their children inherit more of the same, and may the judgment continue to their children's children. Psalm 17: 13-14 NLT

Save me, O Lord, from those whose only concern is earthly gain.

That is something I can sink my teeth into.

It seems like most everyone in society is after earthly gain. Better homes, better cars, better vacations, designer clothes and the best electronics seem to be the number one items on everyone's list. And I admit that I am no different from anyone else.

Certainly, I have taught this to my own child. He has just interrupted me to ask for his allowance. He wants the same bubble toys that were given to one of the classes at his school for a year-end gift. Just like us, he sees what others have and wants it for himself.

If we Christians are concerned with earthly gain, it is no wonder that our enemies are even more so. We certainly all need God's help -- not just in being saved from our enemies but also being saved from ourselves.

God, stand and save us! Rescue us from being only concerned with earthly gain. Free us from temptation and deliver us from punishment. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment