Sunday, May 8, 2011

How Long Will You Forget Me?

O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? How long will you look the other way? How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day? How long will my enemy have the upper hand? Psalm 13: 1-2 NLT

This is a song of lament. It makes me think of those who grieve -- when everyone else thinks a person should be over it, that person is still in the depths of their loss. The feelings are ones of isolation and loneliness. No one, not even God, understands them or what they are going through.

God, how long will you forget me and look the other way? Forever?

A person suffering from anguish deals with life on a second by second basis. What is causing the anguish is constantly in their heads and on their hearts. They struggle to make it just one more hour, one more day.

How long must I struggle? How long must I live through this sorrow each day?

Whether tragedy comes through other people, nature or even poor personal decisions, it feels as though an enemy has them in their clutches. The enemy may be real or perceived but the feelings of being held down are tremendous.

How long will my enemy have the upper hand?

These questions are good ones to have when we are suffering through a terrible loss in our own lives.

God, you want to hear our pleas and our complaints as in Psalm 13. You want our true feelings to be revealed to you in our words and prayers. Thank you, God, that you can take our hurts and still hold us fast to you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims 

No comments:

Post a Comment