Monday, May 9, 2011

Turn and answer me!

Turn and answer me, O Lord my God! Restore the light to my eyes, or I will die. Don't let my enemies gloat, saying, "We have defeated him!" Don't let them rejoice at my downfall. Psalm 13: 3-4 NLT

First we have the complaints and pleas. Now we have the argument.

Picture this: the psalmist is arguing to God's back, trying to get God to respond. Perhaps they are hoping to get God's ire up? They reach out and pull on God's shoulder; "Look at me when I am talking to you!" the psalmist seems to say. "Give me some hope here. Stop letting those who hate me laugh at my expense. Why don't you do something so that I won't go down in complete misery?"

What time or times in your life did you feel like arguing with God? When have you ever wanted God to turn God's eyes in your direction? At what point in time did you want God to restore light to your eyes and hope to your heart? What happened? Did God listen? Or did your enemy or enemies rejoice at your misery?

God, we ask that you turn and answer us. Restore the light to our eyes, don't let our enemies rejoice over us. May we ask these things in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment