Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Heart is Filled With Joy

No wonder my heart is filled with joy, and my mouth shouts his praises! My body rests in safety. For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your godly one to rot in the grave. You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever. Psalm 16: 10-11 NLT

I am planning for this devotional to be published on blog post the day of my wedding anniversary. These verses remind me of that wedding day. I was nervous at first but by the time the ceremony ended, I was so happy! The promises that my husband and I made with one another were much like the ones we make with God. And the phrase about being shown the way of life and having joy and pleasure in living with God also remind me of the anticipation of being married to the love of my life.

Of course, marriage is different from our relationship with God in many ways. There are days in marriage where joy seems far away and it may not seem as pleasurable to live with your mate forever.

But our relationship with God is so much different from marriage. For one thing, only one of us is human while the other is capable of infinite love and mercy. While marriage partners help one another through the maze of life, God is the partner who shows us the way. And it is only when we go to be with the Lord that we truly know the joy of God's presence and the pleasure of living with God forever. I don't think that means lying on clouds and playing a harp, either. I think it will be something so truly joyous that we cannot comprehend it in this lifetime.

God, thank you for marriage. But most of all, thank you for our eternal relationship with you. We celebrate your joy, your presence and your pleasure forever and ever. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment