Monday, May 23, 2011

Your Honor!

O Lord, hear my plea for justice. Listen to my cry for help. Pay attention to my prayer, for it comes from an honest heart. Declare me innocent, for you know those who do right. You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night. You have scrutinized me and found nothing amiss, for I am determined not to sin in what I say. I have followed your commands, which have kept me from going along with cruel and evil people. My steps have stayed on your path; I have not wavered from following you. Psalm 17: 1-5 NLT

This sounds so much like a courtroom scene.

This prayer is an argument before the judge. This is an attempt to get a lighter sentence or to have the whole case thrown out.

I am asking for justice, for help.

I am being honest here - I have sworn on the Bible to tell nothing but the truth.

I ask that you declare me innocent because you are one who knows those who do the right thing.

You have heard the testimony of my heart and my thoughts.

You have cross-examined me and found nothing to question further. I am determined to answer as fully and as well as I can to all your questions.

I have followed the law and stayed on the straight and narrow way.

I have not followed those who are criminals.

I have followed you.

God, we come before you as before a judge's bench. We place ourselves on the mercy of the heavenly court. Forgive us and grant us your grace. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment