Thursday, June 23, 2011

Free of Guilt

How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults. Keep me from deliberate sins! Don't let them control me. Then I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin. Psalm 19: 12- 13 NLT

We often think about asking for forgiveness for sins we have already committed. But how often do we ask God to help us avoid committing sin altogether? We just assume that we are going to sin and can admit it later.

These verses help us to think a little differently. Instead of asking for forgiveness, they ask God to cleanse us from unconscious sins. This scripture recognizes that we often have sins lurking in our very being, our personality, our perception of the world around us. When we get into certain situations, these sins bubble to the surface and cause us to do wrong. Likewise, we all have certain quirks or sins that we are all the time asking for forgiveness. How about we stop letting these things control us?

If we do these, won't we be free of guilt?

God, cleanse me from hidden faults. Keep me from deliberate sins -- don't let them control me! May I be free of guilt and innocent of great sin. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment