Thursday, June 9, 2011

Humility

You rescue those who are humble, but you humiliate the proud. Psalm 18: 27 NLT

Are you truly humble?

Or do you hide your pride behind a mask of humility?

I know I have a tendency to be proud. I don't think I am haughty but I do think more highly of myself than I ought to think. On the one hand, I don't want to be recognized for doing something and yet I do want to be recognized. It is like when my husband asks me if I want something for a special occasion such as birthday or anniversary. My usual response is to say, "Oh, no, don't do anything special." What I actually mean is: "Yes, I want something special. Make me feel good about myself! Help me celebrate! Surprise me!" What happens is that my husband does as I have requested. Nothing. Then I am really upset that he did nothing. Of course, I am learning as time goes on to vocalize what I need.

I also need to stop being secretly proud. Having a mask of humility is worse than having none at all.

What about you? Do you think you are humble? Or are you proud?

God, save us from false humility. Help us to be truly humble in your presence. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment