Thursday, July 14, 2011

Disgrace

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. I trust in you, my God! Do not let me be disgraced, or let my enemies rejoice in my defeat. No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced, but disgrace comes to those who try to deceive others. Psalm 25:1-3 NLT

What is disgrace? To me it is like being shamed in public. To be disgraced is to be as one who has no honor and is not trustworthy because of something that person has done.

For the psalmist, disgrace comes when a person tries to deceive others, probably for that individual's own benefit. The temptation seems to be to deceive others: the psalmist asks that God not let them be disgraced. Instead, the psalmist wants to trust in God. Even when defeat seems close, the psalmist will trust that God will save. The psalmist trusts in God, lifting up his soul to God. Neither the joy of enemies or the disgrace of friends will be had if one trusts in God.

Do you trust in God? Are you lifting up your soul to him? Or are you too busy trying to make people believe and do what you want them to do (deceiving them in your so-called good intentions)?

God, to you I lift up my soul. I trust in you, God, in you alone. Do not let me be disgraced. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment