Thursday, July 21, 2011

For I trust in You

Turn to me and have mercy on me, for I am alone and in deep distress. My problems go from bad to worse. Oh, save me from them all! Feel my pain and see my trouble. Forgive all my sins. See how many enemies I have, and how viciously they hate me! Protect me! Rescue my life from them! Do not let me be disgraced, for I a trust in you. May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you. Psalm 25: 16-21 NLT

I was speaking with an older gentleman this week who was in deep distress. He has lived a fairly rough life but recently things seem to be overwhelming him. His wife had to be placed in a nursing home as he could no longer care for her himself. As he is pretty much illiterate and very dependent on her help, he has lost his anchor for much of his daily needs as well as someone he loved very much. His best friend and fishing buddy died a few months back and he also decided to sell all his fishing gear. Now his stepkids are trying to move him closer to his wife who is now across town. In the meantime, his license needs to be renewed and he is very lonely. In fact, he felt suicidal just the other night.

When you hear his story, you can see how the words of Psalm 25 become very real.

I love how the psalmist asks God to see all their problems, feel for them and forgive their sins.

Perhaps you felt overwhelmed by life... until you heard this man's story.

In any case, may we all trust in God.

Oh God, do not let me be disgraced, for I a trust in you. May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment