Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Keeping us from Harm?


The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous face many troubles, but the Lord rescues them from each and every one. For the Lord protects them from harm – not one of their bones will be broken! Psalm 34: 17-20 NLT

I have said before that God may not always rescue us from suffering but God will take away our fear and our hopelessness.

These verses want to prove me wrong.

This part of psalm 34 says that God will rescue God's people from harm. God is close to those who are brokenhearted and will revive their crushed spirit. I wonder if this means those who mourn or those who are depressed or both?

Certainly, the psalmist reminds us that we will suffer. We will have troubles in our lives. Yet, God rescues us from each and every thing that causes us suffering. God will even go so far to keep our bones from being broken. God will prevent harm from coming to us.

Is this true? Will God always keep me from harm? If I do get a broken bone, will that mean that I am no longer one of God's people or that I am not righteous?

God, these verses are confusing for me. They make me feel secure in you yet cause lots of questions to form in my mind. I want to be protected from harm but I am still not sure that you will rescue me from everything. God, be with me in my struggles. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment