Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Children's Moment


Come, my children, and listen to me, and I will teach you to fear the Lord. Do any of you want to live a life that is long and good? Then watch your tongue! Keep your lips from telling lies! Turn away from evil and do good. Work hard at living at peace with others. The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right; his ears are open to their cries for help. But the Lord turns his face against those who do evil; he will erase their memory from the earth. Psalm 34: 11-16 NLT

What does your place have worship do during children's time at church? My church has a puppet named Esmeralda. She is very funny but learns a lesson each week. I am never sure if it is the children or the adults who get more out of what she is talking about.

I think these verse are what we are really supposed to be teaching our kids. I imagine Jesus learning this psalm as a child. Children, do you want to live a long and good life? Then listen to me and I will teach you how to fear God. The main things you need to do are:
  1. Watch what you say
  2. Don't tell lies
  3. Turn away from evil
  4. Do good
  5. Work hard at living in peace with others
For if you do evil, God will turn God's face from you. But if you do what is right, God will listen to you when you need help.
Now that is a lesson we all need to learn – no matter what our age!

God, help us to watch what we say, to do good and to work hard at living in peace with others. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment