Sunday, August 28, 2011

Nothing to Fear?


I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me, freeing me from all my fears. Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. I cried out to the Lord in my suffering, and he heard me. He set me free from all my fears. For the angel of the lord guards all who fear him, and he rescues them. Psalm 34: 4-7 NLT

What are you afraid of? I mean really afraid?

I'm not talking about spiders. I mean the fear that absolutely paralyzes you or leaves you desperately hopeless.

When confronted with a fear, have you ever prayed to God? Have you asked God for help?

It is interesting that the psalmist doesn't say that God necessarily will rescue us from what makes us afraid. Instead, God sets us free from fear. God saves us from being slaves to fear. Instead of fear overwhelming us, God gives us joy. We still must face what caused our fear in the first place. But God has given us clearer heads and a higher purpose. God listens to us and gives us hope.

God, you free us from fear. Yet, we hesitate to even ask for help when we become truly afraid. We get so caught up in our feelings that we forget about you. Help us, Lord, when our fears become overwhelming. Give us instead hearts free from fear, clear heads and a overwhelming sense of your heavenly joy. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment