Friday, September 2, 2011

Declaring War


O Lord, oppose those who oppose me. Declare war on those who are attacking me. Put on your armor, and take up your shield. Prepare for battle, and come to my aid. Lift up your spear and javelin and block the way of my enemies. Let me hear you say, “ I am your salvation!” Humiliate and disgrace those trying to kill me; turn them back in confusion. Blow them away like chaff in the wind – a wind sent by the angel of the Lord. Make their path dark and slippery, with the angel of the Lord pursuing them. Although I did them no wrong, they laid a trap for me. Although I did them no wrong, they dug a pit for me. So let sudden ruin overtake them! Let them be caught in the snare they set for me! Let them fall to destruction in the pit they dug for me. Psalm 35:1-8 NLT

With the use of repeating ideas in each verse, the psalmist comes across as extremely angry. God, fight for me, destroy my enemies, do harm to those to whom I had never done any wrong. May the same things they are doing to me be done to them. I want you to truly be my salvation! This is almost as if every dark and evil thing the psalmist can think of is being thrown at those who have hurt them. But the desire here is for God to do all these things for the one praying.

What battles do you want God to fight for you this day? What instructions or methods would you enthusiastically suggest God use? Who are your enemies that you have hurt you deeply?

God, we really want you to oppose those who oppose us. We can easily become angry and want you to lash out for us. Help us to keep calmer heads and that our tempers are held in check. May we remember that you are God and we are human beings. We will let you be you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment