Friday, September 30, 2011

Why are you so busy?

We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth for someone else to spend. Psalm 39: 6 NLT

What are you working for? For whom does your pay check really go? Are you trying to get wealthy yet will never reap what you sow? Perhaps you are living as though you are wealthy and trying to earn money to pay all those creditors.

Either way, why are we trying to make so much and climb that ladder of success? Sometimes I think I am just making money to pay taxes so that others can live a nice life of retirement. I don't see what I give to the government as ever really helping me out.

Yet, I am busy rushing around. I am working hard earning that paycheck. I don't have time to slow down and enjoy life because I am so busy with my job. Gotta get stuff done!

Here the psalmist reminds me that my rushing ends in nothing. I am merely a moving shadow, my money going to someone else. Slow down. Think about what is really important. May God, not money your priority.

God, help us to see how foolish our working lives can be compared to our lives in your care and on your road. Change our priorities, Lord, and bring us closer to you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment