Thursday, September 29, 2011

Keeping your mouth shut

I said to myself, “I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say. I will curb my tongue when the ungodly are around me.” But as I stood there in silence – not even speaking of good things – The turmoil within me grew to the bursting point. My thoughts grew hot within me and began to burn, igniting a fire of words. “Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to you; human existence is but a breath.” Psalm 39: 1-5 NLT

How often we do sin with our mouths! Our words are sometimes more tools of the devil than instruments of God's grace. We say we aren't going to open our mouths. The psalmist says he will curb his tongue around the ungodly. Then, like the psalmist, our thoughts grow “to the bursting point,” and begin “to burn, igniting a fire of words.”

Have you ever been in that position? What do you do? What has happened in the past? Have you gone ahead and said something? Did you regret it later? Or were you able to walk away?

The psalmist calms down by reminding himself just how human he is. His days are numbered. His existence is but a breath to God. God is far more important and one's words are weighed and heard by God. The psalmist will keep his promise by remembering how brief his time on earth really is.

God, remind us how mortal we are. Help us to keep our mouths shut even when the response and the anger boils up inside us. Our silence will be like gold to you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment