Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Church: Hotbed of Gossip

But my enemies say nothing but evil about me. “How soon will he die and be forgotten?” they ask. They visit me as if they are my friends, but all the while they gather gossip, and when they leave, they spread it everywhere. All who hate me whisper about me, imagining the worst for me. “Whatever he has, it is fatal,” they say. “He will never get out of that bed!” Even my best friend, the one I trusted completely, the one who shared my food, has turned against me. Psalm 41: 5-9 NLT

I think the church is one of the worst places for gossip.

Perhaps it is because church is a place where some of us feel comfortable to let our hair down and really tell others about what is going on in our lives. At the same time, I think the church invites people who really need God but don't know how to accept God in their lives. They deal with their own pain and misfortunes by talking about others – that is how they relieve their own anxieties. These two things are not a good mix.

So, folks act like our friends to our face and then go to someone else and talk about us. Usually not in a positive manner.

How can we avoid being the one who gossips?

Keep your mouth shut and be willing to walk away. Be adept at changing the subject to a completely different and safe topic. Talk about yourself instead of someone else. Say a prayer for help. Stop the other person and say, “Let's pray for them right now!”

God, help me to not be a gossip wherever I am. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment