Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Have mercy on me

“O Lord,” I prayed, “have mercy on me. Heal me, for I have sinned against you.” Psalm 41: 4 NLT

It is funny but even though I don't believe we are punished with ill health because of our sins, I do believe in God providing wholeness to our bodies, minds and emotions. So, why don't I think about asking God for forgiveness when I get sick? I am more interested in drinking lots of fluids, taking ibuprofen and getting rest. But when do I sit down and think about what I have done against God? Do I even consider when I have offended my creator? Shouldn't admitting our faults and asking for forgiveness be part of our attempts to get well? Have you ever thought about including confession in your get-well repertoire?

The psalmist makes asking for healing and asking for forgiveness part of the same sentence. For the psalmist, these two things are very interrelated. Although you and I may think the psalms go overboard in asking for forgiveness of sins, perhaps we are being too negligent in our own admissions of guilt.

Perhaps next time we get sick – whether the flu or a cold – we should have a prayer of confession as part of our medicine.

God, help us to confess our sins to you on a regular basis. Help us also to be able to see our faults as you see them. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment