Sunday, October 2, 2011

God's Guest

Hear my prayer, O Lord! Listen to my cries for help! Don't ignore my tears. For I am your guest – a traveler passing though, as my ancestors were before me. Spare me so I can smile again before I am gone and exist no more. Psalm 39: 12-13 NLT

In my church, we call our visitors “God's Guests.” I am assuming these verses are where that phrase came from – although I know that term did no originate with our church.

We are all God's guests. We are travelers in this life just as our parents, grandparents and other relatives have been before us.

When we ask for assistance, we want God to be our host. We ask for God's own hospitality, not punishment or denial. We simply want to smile before our time is up. Is joy and gladness too much to ask?

What prayers are on your lips today?

God, hear my prayer. Listen to my cries for help. Don't ignore my tears. For I am your guest – a traveler passing though, as my ancestors were before me. Spare me so I can smile again before I am gone. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment