Monday, October 3, 2011

Out of the mud and mire

I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be astounded. They will put their trust in the Lord. Psalm 40: 1-3 NLT

I love the image of God pulling us out of the muck and mire. Can't you just hear the mud pop and the slime oozing from our legs and feet? How about the sense of freedom and relief from being saved from what has held us captive? Then the image of being set on solid ground but needing help as our legs are really too weak to carry us around. Once we are on solid ground, what more can we do but give voice to our praise for the God who has done so much for us?

And the result of our praise is that others will come to trust in God just as we have.

God, you turned and heard my cry. You lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. You set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. You have given me a new song to sing, a song of praise to you. May all who see and hear about what you have done be astounded and put their trust in you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment