Monday, October 17, 2011

Our Hope is in God

Why am I discouraged? Why so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again – my Savior and my God! Now I am deeply discouraged, but I will remember your kindness – from Mount Hermon the source of the Jordan, from the land of Mount Mizar. I hear the tumult of the raging seas as your waves and surging tides sweep over me. Psalm 42: 5-7 NLT

Psalm 42 must have been written in a time of drought. In previous verses, the deer was panting for the streams of water. Now it looks like the source of the Jordan, near the magnificent Mount Hermon and the little hill of Mount Mizar, has not been producing enough water.

And the psalmist's own life is just as dry and barren. He has become discouraged and sad.

Yet, the hope of the psalmist is in God.

Just like the source will produce flowing water to the Jordan and the Jordan will flood into the Dead Sea, so God's love and life will flow and surge like the tides over the psalmist's head.

Where are you dry in your relationship with God right now? Do you need the tumult of the raging seas and the surging tides to sweep over you?

God, we will put our hope in you. We will remember your kindness. We will no longer be discouraged but optimistic, all because of you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment