Saturday, October 15, 2011

To Hunger and Thirst for God

As the deer pants for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. I thirst for God, for the living God. When can I come and stand before him? Psalm 42: 1-2 NLT

Thirsting and hungering for God is a familiar theme in the Psalms.

Being hungry and thirsty must have also been a familiar life experience when these psalms were written.

I don't know if I have a real grasp or understanding of what it means to be really hungry or desperately thirsty. I have never seen a deer panting for water. I don't think there has ever been a time in my life when I have been physically in a drought.

However, I have been in spiritual droughts. I have been starving in my relationship with God. Although God was offering me food, I kept ignoring the offering. At least one of these time, I was to the point of panting for God. I desired more than anything to come before him and stand in God's presence.

If only I could feel that way about being in God's presence each day.

God, create in me a desire to seek you, a passion to find you and a hunger to know you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment