Tuesday, November 29, 2011

If you do this, I'll do that

I will sacrifice a voluntary offering to you; I will praise your name, O Lord, for it is good. For you will rescue me from my troubles and help me to triumph over my enemies. Psalm 54: 6-7 NLT

On the one hand, this sounds like a bargain with God. If you will rescue me, God, I will go and take a sacrifice to the temple. God, if you will just defeat my enemies, I will give some extra money to the church this month. God, I promise, if you just get me out of this situation, I will be a better person.

Have you ever tried to make such a bargain with God? If so, how did it turn out? Did you keep your end of the bargain? Or did God have other plans for you?

If you have never bargained with God, why not? Have you ever made a vow, pledge or promise to God? Why or why not?

On the other hand, this sounds like a description of what is going to happen in the psalmist's life. I will go give a sacrifice and praise God's good name. God will rescue me from trouble and help me triumph over my enemies. Just a regular day in the life of the psalmist.

Does this sound like one of your regular days?

God, we should praise your name always for you are good and your mercy is everlasting. You are our God and you love us so much. Thank you for sending your son, Jesus. In his name we pray. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment