Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Listen to my prayer, O God

Listen to my prayer, O God. Do not ignore my cry for help! Please listen and answer me, for I am overwhelmed by my troubles. My enemies shout at me, making loud and wicked threats. They bring trouble on me, hunting me down in their anger. Psalm 55: 1-3 NLT

Are you surrounded by noise most of the day? Traffic noises, electronic media, phones, neighbors and co-workers, perhaps even your dishwasher can drown out even your own please and prayers for help.

This is what the psalmist seems to be going through. His enemies are shouting at him, threatening him. Their voices are full of anger and hatred. How can God hear the psalmist's own pleas through all this noise? The psalmist asks for God's attention through all the noise. Even the psalmist is raising his voice to “cry” to God. Is God even listening?

Perhaps all the noises in your own life are drowning out what you need to be saying to God. Can God hear you over all the other sounds around you? I suggest taking some time today to go to somewhere quiet – not even where your pet can beg from you – and just be with God. Take time to talk to God so that you are not just shouting your requests at God. Be still and listen to God as well.

God, we are surrounded by so much noise but your voice is being drowned out. So are our voices as well. Help me to find the quiet time and space to talk with you today. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment