Monday, December 12, 2011

Have mercy on me

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy! I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until this violent storm is past. I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me, rescuing me from those who are out to get me. My God will send forth his unfailing love and faithfulness. Psalm 57: 1-3 NLT

That is a comforting image – hiding under God's wings until the violent storm is past.

When in your life have you found yourself in the midst of a violent storm? Was it beyond your control? Did you have some help in getting it started or keeping it going? How did you cope? Would thinking about hiding under God's wings until it past have been helpful imagery for you? Why or why not?

The explanation to go with that same imagery is that when we cry out to God, God will rescue us and fulfill God's purposes for us. The rescue may not be the rescue we imagine that we need. Nevertheless, God will continue to love us and be faithful to us.

Can we not be loving and faithful to God in return?

God, you are the eagle under whose wings we can find shelter. You are the parent who will be waiting to welcome us as we come down the road. You are the one who will always love us. Thank you for your unfailing love and faithfulness. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment