Tuesday, December 13, 2011

No Mouth!

I am surrounded by fierce lions who greedily devour human prey – whose teeth pierce like spears and arrows, and whose tongues cut like swords. Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens! May your glory shine over all the earth. My enemies have set a trap for me. I am weary from distress. They have dug a deep pit in my path, but they themselves have fallen into it. Psalm 57: 4-6 NLT

My dog bites. And I don't mean strangers that come to the door. I am talking about me. My dog bites me. Usually, she isn't biting hard but there have been some really painful occasions. Maybe it is because she was weaned too soon from her mother. Maybe it is her personality. Perhaps it is my personality. I probably have to give the correction, “No mouth!” more than any other, even “No feet!”.

So when I hear the psalmist speak of lions white teeth that pierce like spears and arrows and tongues that cut like swords, I can almost feel those sharp piercings. But I don't think saying, “NO MOUTH!” is going to cut it with those fierce lions.

Yet the psalmist immediately starts talking about God. God, may you be exalted as high as the sky. God, may your glory shine over the entire earth so everyone will know what I am talking about.

Maybe that is instead of saying, “Ouch!” or “No Mouth?”

Then the psalmist continues on what traps the enemy has set. The good news is that, even though the psalmist is weary, God is going to make sure the enemies fall into their own pit.

Next time you feel trapped or being eaten by lions, try praising God. You may be surprised at what you will discover.

Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens! May your glory shine over all the earth. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment