Saturday, December 24, 2011

An Inheritance

For you have heard my vows, O God. You have given me an inheritance reserved for those who fear your name. Add many years to the life of the king! May his years span the generations! May he reign under God's protection forever. Appoint your unfailing love and faithfulness to watch over him. Then I will always sing praises to your name as I fulfill my vows day after day. Psalm 61: 5-8 NLT

The conclusion of this psalm reminds us of the public nature of these prayers: the king himself is being prayed for. Perhaps David himself composed Psalm 60 or a writer in his household did this to honor his king. In either case, God has given the psalmist an inheritance reserved for those who fear God's name.

How real is this inheritance? What kind of inheritance can you and I expect? A king has already received his inheritance. I suppose victory over enemies would be another kind of inheritance for a ruler.

As Christians, we have already received an inheritance because of what Jesus Christ has sacrificed for us. Although that is real, it is not as tangible as physically sitting on a throne. The victory we can expect also includes a victory over death and evil. Perhaps that does not seem possible in our lives at this point but it is our inheritance. We may not have it yet but we have been promised this in the future.

God, you have given me an inheritance for those who fear your name. May I be under your protection forever. May your unfailing love and faithfulness watch over me. I will always sing praises to your name as I follow your will day after day. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment