Friday, December 9, 2011

It is okay to cry

You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book. Psalm 56: 8 NLT

I grew up learning to suppress my tears. I suppose I was brought up more like a boy than a girl – or at least not like a girlie girl.

It took some work for me to accept my tears and to even let them fall when in front of other people. Actually, it was during a requirement for ordination that I was able to let my tears flow in front of a small group of pastors. From that point on, I came to see my tears as a blessing, an offering to God.

Psalm 56:8 gives us a biblical mandate for crying. God sees our sorrows. God counts our tears. God stores up all our tears in a bottle. God knows when our hearts are breaking and when we are overwhelmed with sorrow. Our tears are not something to hide: God accepts each and every one.

God, help me to express my sorrow to you – and to others. Help me not be afraid to cry. Teach me that my tears are a blessing and that you record each one – not to punish me but to remember my sorrows. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment