Saturday, December 10, 2011

What can mere mortals do?

On the very day I call to you for help, my enemies will retreat. This I know: God is on my side. O God, I praise your word. Yes, Lord, I praise your word. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?What can mere mortals do to me? Psalm 56: 9-11 NLT

What can mere mortals do to you compared with what God can do?

I don't mean what harm God can do to you – although a healthy dose of the fear of God is part of this understanding. What I mean is, what are human beings to be afraid of? They can kill the body but not touch the soul. They can wreak havoc in your life, they can hurt you or your loved ones.

But it is ultimately God who saves. God holds our souls. God gives us love. God forgives our faults. God provides courage when even all we had seems washed away.

With God on your side, what do you have to be afraid of?

God, this I know: you are on my side. I call to you for help, my enemies retreat. I praise your word. I trust in you. Why should I be afraid? What can people really do to me? Thank you for your love, God. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment