Saturday, December 17, 2011

Watch your mouth!

They come at night, snarling like vicious dogs as they prowl the streets. Listen to the filth that comes from their mouths, the piercing swords that fly from their lips. “Who can hurt us?” they sneer. But Lord, you laugh at them. You scoff at all the hostile nations. You are my stregnth; I wait for you to rescue me, for you, O God, are my place of safety. In his unfailing love, my God will come and help me. He will look down in triumph on my enemies. Psalm 59: 6-10 NLT

Listen to the filth that comes from their mouths. I have been amazed to hear young children use even the “f” word in church! Children, not teens! Of course, I am sure they hear worse at home and at school. Even the cutest movies these days get a PG rating because they use “colorful” language. I have had to work with my own ten year old to help him find appropriate words when he is frustrated. I probably need the same type of help!

What kind of words come out of your own mouth when you are angry, startled or frustrated? Would you be embarrassed if your pastor was present? How about your children?

In the psalm those who say filthy things also sneer that no one can hurt them. Yet, it is clear that God can hurt them. Words are powerful things. When we say bad words, we give our words rather than God more power than they ought to have. Give God power rather than your own words.

God, may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment