Thursday, December 22, 2011

With God's Help

But who will bring me into the fortified city? Who will bring me victory over Edom? Have you rejected us, O God? Will you no longer march with our armies? Oh, please help us against our enemies, for all human help is useless. With God's help we will do mighty things, for he will trample down our foes. Psalm 60: 9-12 NLT

All human help is useless. What a statement! It could mean that no one will do things my way so why do I insist on asking people for help! It could also mean that human beings are worthless and helpless so there is no reason to even try to do better or be better. Or it could mean that without God, we are truly unable to accomplish anything.

I think the last sentence is the correct one.

Without God, what can we truly accomplish? I am sure there are those persons in the world who feel they have succeeded on their own merit alone. Even if they had help along the way, it certainly was not from God. Even some Christians may feel that they have done most of the work themselves, with God just cheering them on from the sidelines.

Certainly, we could all do things without God. However, if we want to “do mighty things” as the psalmist suggests, we will need God's help.

God, I need your help! I admit that I cannot do without you. I want to accomplish mighty things but I need your help in doing them. Please lend me your strength and power! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment