Saturday, January 7, 2012

Gazing on God

I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory. Your unfailing love is better to me than life itself; how I praise you! I will honor you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest of foods. I will praise you with songs of joy. Psalm 63: 2-5 NLT

What do you do when you go to worship? Resent the time away from the golf course? Think about what you will have for lunch? Compare what you are wearing with others in the congregation?

The psalmist comes to worship to gaze on God's power and glory. The psalmist meditates on how God's love is better than life itself. The psalmist praises God, honoring God by lifting up his hands to God in prayer. The psalmist realizes that being in God's presence is better than a good meal, a good game or the finest clothes. Being in worship is more satisfying to the psalmist than any other thing life offers. So, the psalmist continues to praise God with joyful songs.

Next time you step into worship think of these things: God's power and glory, how God's love is better than life itself, how being near God is more satisfying that anything else you could be doing at that moment. Then lift up your hands in praise, joyfully giving God the glory. I think you will find it will be the best worship service ever.

God, I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory. Your unfailing love is better to me than life itself; how I praise you! I will honor you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest of foods. I will praise you with songs of joy. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment