Monday, January 2, 2012

Lonely at the Top

So many enemies against one man – all of them trying to kill me. To them I'm just a broken-down wall or a tottering fence. They plan to topple me from my high position. They delight in telling lies about me. They are friendly to my face, but they curse me in their hearts. Psalm 61:3-4 NLT

The imagery in these two verses says it all:

So many enemies against one person.

I seem like a broken-down wall to them.

They see me as a tottering fence.

They plan on toppling me from my high position.

They like to tell lies about me.

They are friendly to my face but curse me in their hearts.

When I read these images, I have strong feelings of isolation and vulnerability. I see someone standing on the top of a pole or a ladder with people trying to grab their feet and make the fall – all while these people are looking friendly and innocent. I suppose we could say it is lonely at the top – and you are more susceptible to making enemies and being overcome.

I wonder what led to being on the top. Is it because the psalmist has followed God and God alone while others follow their own ambitions and agendas? Is the person in position of power been given that position by God? It certainly seems like the psalmist is the good guy while everyone else seems to be the enemy.

Have you ever felt like the psalmist? What happened to you?

God, it is lonely at the top. Help us to follow you wherever you lead us and for us to depend on you for everything. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment