Monday, January 30, 2012

Loving our Guilty Ways

But God will smash the heads of his enemies, crushing the skulls of those who love their guilty ways. The Lord says, “I will bring my enemies down from Bashan; I will bring them up from the depths of the sea. You, my people will wash your feet in their blood, and even your dogs will get their share!” Psalm 68: 21-23 NLT

Bloody, vengeful and insulting. That is today's reading.

God's enemies may have gone up the highest mountains or even drowned in the farthermost seas but they still remain in God's reach. In fact, this God is pretty bloody and vengeful. Smashing the enemies heads and crushing the skulls of those who love their guilty ways. Forget the threats of hell, this is worse! Then, the righteous will wash their feet in the blood of the enemies. This is insulting. Even the dogs will take part in this! This is beyond insulting.

God is pretty angry, don't you think?

How much do you love your guilty ways? You probably loved them more before reading this devotional today. And I don't think God is going to come mash your head in and pour your blood on the streets to be trampled by dogs. I think that was the psalmist's own desire. But I do think God becomes very disappointed in us when we love the things that tempt us, that lead us to sin. This is a time in our day for us to take an honest look at what we really love in our lives and admit to ourselves and to God when we are in love with our guilty ways.

God, forgive me for loving the things you hate. Forgive me for continuing to do those things you don't want me to do...and enjoying them in the process. Forgive me for allowing sin to reign over my life when you so desperately want to be my only sovereign. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment