Monday, February 6, 2012

Don't let me sink any deeper!

Passion for your house has consumed me, and the insults of those who insult you have fallen on me. When I weep and fast, they scoff at me. When I dress in burlap to show sorrows, they make fun of me. I am the favorite topic of town gossip, and all the drunks sing about me. But I keep praying to you, Lord, hoping this time you will show me favor. In your unfailing love, O God, answer my prayer with your sure salvation. Rescue me from the mud; don't let me sink any deeper! Save me from those who hate me, and pull me from these deep waters. Don't let the floods overwhelm me, or the deep waters swallow me, or the pit of death devour me. Psalm 69: 9-15 NLT

Asking God for forgiveness and being humbled is one thing.

Asking others for forgiveness and/or asking God through others is much harder.

The psalmist has realized his mistakes and, it order to make amends, he has gone to what seems to be the extreme. He is spending all his time in the temple. He is weeping and fasting. He is wearing sackcloth (we know this as burlap), a very scratchy material used to transport feed and grain. Traditionally, this was worn in Biblical times to indicate mourning. He prays constantly to God for forgiveness.

Meanwhile, he has become a laughing stock in front of his hometown. People are making fun of him and everyone is gossiping about him and what he has done (you can imagine how that goes). Even the town drunks are ridiculing him by singing drinking songs with him as the subject.

So, the psalmist is asking for God's help in getting through this time of humiliation. He is already humbled enough. He asked that God not let all this overwhelm him. The best thing he is doing is not to give up on God and to continue to pray.

Have you ever tried to make things “right” but just made things worse or made yourself a laughing stock instead of a savior? If so, you can relate to the psalmist.

In your unfailing love, O God, answer my prayer with your sure salvation. Rescue me from the mud; don't let me sink any deeper! Save me from those who hate me, and pull me from these deep waters. Don't let the floods overwhelm me, or the deep waters swallow me, or the pit of death devour me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment