Sunday, February 19, 2012

Praising God

Then I will praise you with music on the harp, because you are faithful to your promises, O my God. I will sing praises to you with lyre, O holy One of Israel. I will shout for joy and sing you praises, for you have ransomed me. I will tell about your righteous deeds all day long, for everyone who tried to hurt me has been shamed and humiliated. Psalm 71: 22-24 NLT

I will praise you because everyone who has hurt me has been shamed and humiliated.

Well, I really don't believe that is a good thing! I believe the first statements are more sincere: I will praise you because you are faithful to your promises, you have ransomed me and you are righteous in all your deeds.

Interesting that the psalm ends on praise because God has revenged the psalmist, not just saved him.

Despite being betrayed by his own people, Jesus never called down fire from heaven to destroy the Jewish religious leaders. Instead, the Holy Spirit as tongues of fire came and settled on everyone so that all who heard could be moved by the story of Jesus. This was for all the Jews in Jerusalem, not just the laity.

Despite being executed by the Gentiles, Jesus did not strike them down from heaven. Instead, Jesus appeared in a bright light to Saul so that he would be the instrument of taking the message to the Gentiles. This included those Romans in the military.

God has saved us rather than become our instrument of revenge. Let us praise God together!

God, I will praise you for all the wonderful things you have done for me. I especially praise you for saving me through Jesus Christ, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment