Friday, March 2, 2012

Abandoning God

Those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you. But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do. Psalm 73:27-28 NLT

I wonder if deserting God, in abandoning God, comes a loss of something that no punishment could ever devise. Perhaps in trying to leave God we come closer to final death. Our only future is one of destruction rather than salvation.

I wonder that because the psalmist says that being near God is a wonderful thing. God becomes our shelter and we become God's spokesperson. In God is life. Without God is death.

Perhaps God does not have to actually do anything to destroy those who abandon God. Maybe they do that on their own.

God, we pray for those we know who have abandoned you. Whatever the cause or whenever it happened, we pray for healing and renewal of your relationship with them. We name them to you in our hearts. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment