Saturday, March 31, 2012

God in a Drunken Stupor

Then the Lord rose up as thought waking from sleep,like a warrior aroused from a drunken stupor. He routed his enemies and sent them to eternal shame. But he rejected Joseph's descendants; he did not choose the tribe of Ephraim. He chose instead the tribe of Judah, and Mount Zion, which he loved. There he built his sanctuary as high as the heavens, as solid and enduring as the earth. Psalm 78: 65-69 NLT

God waking up as from a drunken stupor? Routing his enemies while suffering from hangover? Choosing a new favorite son to carry on the family business?

What kind of God is this? Would God really be that far gone to be considered drunk? Would God go to sleep on us and get up in a foul mood? Would God abandon us for someone else?

I think the key verse in this passage is that God ends up building God's sanctuary “as high as the heavens and as solid and enduring as the earth.” The idea seems to be that when God did set out to rebuild, God made it stronger.

I wonder if that is what happened with allowing Jesus to die on the cross. With the resurrection, God made Jesus stronger and revoked the power of death on all who believed.

God, help me to wake up from the stupor I am in. May I rebuild my life in the image of the one who loves me. In His name I pray. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment