Thursday, March 8, 2012

God is the Judge

I warned the proud, 'Stop your boasting!' I told the wicked, 'Don't raise your fists! Don't raise your fists in defiance at the heavens or speak with such arrogance.' ” For no one on earth – from east or west, or even from the wilderness-- should raise a defiant fist. It is God alone who judges; he decides who will rise and who will fall. For the Lord holds a cup in his hand that is full of foaming wine mixed with spices. He pours out the wine in judgment, and all the wicked must drink it, draining it to the dregs. Psalm 75: 4-8 NLT

Oh, that I would remember that God is the judge, not me.

I am pretty quick to judge other people. Usually, my judgment puts them in a bad light. I think the worst of them or am quick to criticize them. It isn't as though I am judging them in terms of sending them to hell. It is more like putting them on the scales and finding them lacking in some way. They don't make perfection in my book, so I am going to simply dismiss them.

That sounds pretty harsh. But I have to follow this up with the fact that I am just as harsh with myself as with anyone else. I am quick to judge and find myself lacking as well. Of course, I am sure I don't come out to be as bad as everyone else. Still. That is my own mindset.

Then I hear: it is God alone who judges. It is up to God to decide who is good or perfect. It is up to God to carry out the judgment. It is also up to God to carry out the punishment.

Thank goodness it is up to God to extend mercy and forgiveness as well.

God, you are the judge. Not me. Help me to live in your love and forgiveness all of my days and to extend that same love to my neighbors. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment